Jailbreak 6.0.1, iOS 6 for iPhone 4, 3Gs and iPod touch 4th Generation using Redsn0w
Jailbreak 6.0.1 for iPhone 4, 3Gs and iPod touch 4th Generation using Redsn0w Yesterday, a popular iOS tutorial YouTuber named iCrackUriDevice released an updated jailbreak iOS 6.0.1 tutorial using RedSn0w. While the new 6.0.1 version has utility has yet to be officially supported through Redsn0w, there’s a simple workaround that enables iOS-device users to jailbreak on 6.0.1 and install Cydia.
Unfortunately, even though it’s possible to utilize Redsnow for 6.0.1, iDevice users can only jailbreak iOS 6 (6.0.1) using what’s referred to as a Tethered jailbreak. Naturally, iPhones and iPods jailbroken with this method will need to be rebooted with the assistance of the RedSnow jailbreak utility every time they power off.
Jailbreak iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod touch 4th Gen on iOS 6.0.1
Furthermore, due to the nature of this Tethered jailbreak, only devices powered by Apple’s A4 processor or earlier are compatible, which includes the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and the 4th Generation iPod touch. Here’s a list of supported iOS devices:
- iPhone 4
- iPod touch 4th Gen, 4G
- iPhone 3GS
The newer A5, A5X, A6 and A6X devices are unfortunately left out. If you own one of the following iOS-based devices, it’s not compatible with this iOS 6.0.1 jailbreak and is thus not jailbreakable:
- iPod touch 5th Generation
- iPhone 5
- iPhone 4S
- 3rd Gen iPad 3
- iPad 4, fourth Generation
With that said, before we proceed, to be immediately notified on any and all news regarding the UnTethered jailbreak for 6.0.1 and the new iOS devices, follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our official JailbreakingiOS6 and iOS 6.0.1 UnTethered Jailbreak feed.
How-to Jailbreak 6.0.1 and iOS 6 for A4
1. Download the latest version of Redsn0w and the iOS 6.0 IPSW (not 6.0.1) from the download section near the end of this tutorial and ensure that your iPhone or iPod is running Apple’s 6.0.1 firmware.
Note: If you’re on windows Vista or windows 7, 8, you’ll need to right click Redsnow, set the compatibility mode for windows XP service pack to and grant Administrative privileges.
2. Run RedSn0w – for OS X MAC users, right (control) click the utility and click open.
3. Click Extras -> Select IPSW feature, browse for and point it towards the iOS 6 IPSW file (not 6.0.1) to proceed with the jailbreak. After the file has been successfully identified by RedSnow, click the Back button to return to the main screen for Redsnow.
4. Select Jailbreak, ensure that the option to Install Cydia was checked by default, continue and set your iOS-device into DFU mode.
- To Enter Device Firmware Update mode: Press and hold the home and power buttons together for a total of ten seconds, once ten seconds has passed, release the power button and continue to hold the home button for an additional ten to fifteen seconds.
5. Wait for the process to complete and for your jailbroken iPhone or iPod touch to reboot – you’ll then need to continue and boot Tethered.
How to Boot Tethered:
As previously mentioned in this jailbreak tutorial, you’ll be required to boot tether to see Cydia and every time you need to power your iPhone or iPod on. To boot Tethered, simply open RedSnow and click to Extras, followed by Just Boot.
- redsn0w 0.9.15b3 for Mac OS X users
- redsnow 0.9.15b3 for windows-based PC users
- iOS 6.0 IPSW for the jailbreak
- 6.0.1 file to restore your iDevice if it isn’t on the new firmware
Congratulations, after only six simple steps, you’ve successfully jailbroken your iPhone or iPod touch on iOS 6.0.1. Also, if you want to install what’s known as either a semi Tethered or semi UnTethered jailbreak after performing this Tethered RedSn0w jailbreak, be sure to check out the above video from iCrackUriDevice.
For those of you who are interested in the latest details and information on the UnTethered 6.0.1 jailbreak, be sure to visit our post on planetbeing’s latest jailbreaking 6.0.1 update.
If you follow us on Twitter, like our Facebook page, add us to your circles on Google+ and subscribe to our UnTethered Jailbreak 6.0.1 and JailbreakingiOS6 news feed, we’ll keep you updated on the latest iOS and jailbreak information.